National Museum of the Holy QuranTehran
Located in the northwest of the intersection of Imam Khoemini street and Valiasr street, National Museum of Holy Quran is the only specific museum of Iran dedicated to the Quranic arts. This museum has been built in a space with 10000 square meter area in which three main sectors of Museum, administration and specific library are recognizable. All the construction is placed underground in 14meters depth. In addition to the Quran manuscripts related to a vast time span, from the 4th century AH to the late of Qajar period, this museum is also narrating the development process of other related arts to the writing of Quran including gilding, book binding, calligraphy and etc.
The museum exhibits are displayed in three parts as following: 1. The cultural-historical section; 2. The section of Quranic objects; and 3. The section of contemporary works of art. A collection of manuscripts and lithographic Qurans, the poets’ book, scrolls, prayer books and Quranic pieces are on display in the first sector of the museum. Works of the famous artists such as Mir Ali Heravi, Mohammad Ibrahim Qomi, Abdol Gader Hosseini and Om-e Salameh are also here. The second part contains the objects like the wares, vases, boxes, pencil cases and coins in which the Quranic verses or prayers are somehow included. The third part has been devoted to the works of the contemporary artists especially the painters and calligraphers whose painting, calligraphy and calligram works are kept in the museum. At present, the museum embraces 650 granted Quranic works.
Besides the objects, the internal architecture of the museum and its decorations cannot be overlooked; it is inspired by the Iranian-Islamic style of architecture where a part of the motif of Shamseh (the sun) has been depicted in each of three stories of the museum.
Amongst the main peripheral provisions of the museum, the study hall, the lending hall of magazines. Audiovisual hall, store and some spaces for visitors to rest and finally an amphitheater in order to hold different ceremonies should be mentioned.
The first steps toward establishing the National Museum of Holy Quran were taken before the Islamic revolution, in 1354 SH, and it continued to 1373 SH when the building was completely constructed. The museum finally opened in 1384 by the vice president of time and its chairman was determined to be Ahmad Masjed Jamei.