National Garden Entrance Gateway (Sardar-e-Bagh-e-Melli) is a magnificent brick gate, decorated with colorful tiles and multiple inscriptions. It is one of ancient symbols of Tehran and had been built under direct order of Reza Shah by Jafar Khan Kashani.
Kashani cooperated directly with German architects and they used Iranian –European architectural styles especially in tile works and Kolah Farangi (kiosk) designs from 1922 to 1925.
The structure of "Mashq Square Gate” was built as a gateway to the Mashq Square at a military area. Army was mainly in charge of the area.
Shortly after building the gate, the first public garden entitled "National Garden" was founded in the ground of Mashq Square and renamed to "The Gate of National Garden".
In the upper part of the building, monitoring station, naccaire (naqareh) platform and the armed forces passage has been designed.
The Gate of National Garden has a gateway for car pass and two lanes for pedestrians.
Today, there are several buildings, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (the east side), the National Library and National Museum of Iran and the Post office on the west side of this area.