The Ancient City of Seymareh is in Seymareh Valley, south to a river with the same name, and north to Kabirkuh that is located in an area that is now a part of the city of Darreh Shahr in Ilam Province. It is believed that it is the same city of Madakto that belonged to Elam civilization, and was later known as Mehregan Kadak and Seymareh. It is written in historical texts that Seymareh was a lively city with two fortresses. But about one thousand years ago it became ruined and vacant. Some of the historians know a strong earthquake to be the reason.
The first archeologist to visit Seymareh was Sir Henry Rawlinson. He began an expedition in the site in 1836. He was looking for the remaining of Seymareh and considered it to have belonged to Sassanid dynasty. Jaques de Morgan also visited this historical land in 1891 and introduced it as the same ancient city of Madakto. Then it was Aurel Stein who attempted to explore it in 1936.
The remaining of the historical city of Seymareh is spread over an area as big as one hundred and twenty hectares. This is the reason that it is known as the biggest historical land of the west of Iran. A part of this archeological site is Tappe Pamil inside the city, found in 1362 SH. Tappe Pamil is the highest point of the city that traces back to Sassanid dynasty and was ruined during an earthquake. There can be seen Sassanid bridges, buildings, fortresses and ruins in each part of the city.
It was during one expedition conducted in 1384 SH that two hundred and forty-six parts and ancient structure from the Neolithic era and later were found. In a newer expedition of 1389 SH, another part as big as thirty hectares was found that is now called Barzghavaleh. There are signs indicating a strong earthquake in Barzghavaleh, as well.
Another part as big as twenty hectares is known as Shahneshin Sikan. It contains historical objects from Achaemenid to Sassanid dynasties. Other parts such as Yuzhandar II, Tappe Tappe, Dej-e Chubineh, Cham Nemesht with a Chahrtaq next to it, Tappe Ghal-eh Gol or Gholagol with remaining of twelve towers around it can be named. In addition to all above, hand-made artifacts and potteries has been excavated.