Shahrbani Palace, the Palace of PolityTehran
One of the attractions of Tehran is its old buildings that have remained in the capital many years ago. One of them is the historical mansion of Sahrbani Palace. Now known as the building No. 9 of the House of Commons - Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is less than five hundred meters far from Imam Khomeini Square. There metro station and Fayazbakhsh bus terminal are not very far from it.
The Shahrbani Palace or the Palace of Polity is located on the eastern side of the square, which is one of the oldest districts of Tehran. It is nationally registered. This complex was built during the first Pahlavi era in 1315 SH. Now it is run by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs because the ministry purchased it in 1380 SH from the Law Enforcement Force of the Islamic Republic of Iran and turned it into one of its offices. Gabriel Guevrekian, who was a well-known architect of the time, designed the mansion. He was the founder of the modern architecture in Iran and used the neoclassic style in the design of the palace. This style became popular in Iran for some years, and numerous buildings were designed based on it. But Shahrbani Palace is doubtlessly the best sample of neoclassic architecture of Iran.
The façade of the mansion resembles the Iranian architecture of Persepolis. The entrance steps look like those of Apadana Palace and lead to the iwan from two sides. The majestic columns and their capitals, decorated with motifs such as Achaemenid soldiers, look just like the columns of Persepolis. But the internal design of the mansion is inspired by the European styles. The artistic mirror works and stucco decorations can be found in it. The mansion is built in three stories and is spread over an area about twenty-one hectares.
The National Garden Headquarters can be seen in front of the Shahrbani Palace on the other side of the square. Before Azadi Tower was built, the Portal of the National Garden Headquarters was the symbol of Tehran. The Mashgh or Marsh Square was built during the Qajar era, but the amazing portal with its cast-iron doors and beautiful tile works was built during the Pahlavi era by German engineers.